What to Do When Your Ex Stops Paying Child Support in Texas

If you're a custodial parent in Texas, you rely on child support payments to provide for your child's basic needs. Unfortunately, sometimes your ex may stop paying child support, leaving you in a difficult financial situation. Here are some steps you can take to address this issue:

1. Contact Your Ex

Your first step should be to reach out to your ex and ask why they've stopped making payments. It's possible that there was a misunderstanding or a change in their financial situation. If this is the case, you may be able to work out a new payment plan or modify the existing court order.

2. File a Motion to Enforce

If your ex refuses to pay or can't provide a satisfactory explanation, you can file a Motion to Enforce with the court. This legal document asks the court to enforce the child support order and compel your ex to pay what they owe. If the court finds that your ex is in contempt, they may face fines, wage garnishment, or even jail time.

3. Seek Assistance from the Attorney General's Office

If your ex is consistently behind on payments, you can also seek help from the Texas Attorney General's Office. They can help you locate your ex, establish paternity if necessary, and enforce child support orders. They can also help you collect back child support and set up payment plans.

4. Consider Hiring a Family Law Attorney

Dealing with a non-paying ex can be stressful and overwhelming, especially if you're also dealing with the emotional fallout of a divorce or custody battle. A family law attorney can help you navigate the legal system and advocate for your rights. They can also help you modify the child support order if your financial situation has changed.

5. Document Everything

Throughout this process, it's important to keep detailed records of all communication with your ex, as well as any court filings or orders. This can help you build a case if you need to take legal action, and it can also help you keep track of payments and missed payments.

If your ex stops paying child support in Texas, you have legal options available to you. Whether you choose to work directly with your ex, seek assistance from the Attorney General's Office, or hire a family law attorney, it's important to take action to protect your child's best interests.

The Dieye Firm is here to help you navigate this complex process and ensure that your rights are protected. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.